VitroGel hydrogel system is versatile for many applications. The hydrogel is flexible for multiple culture methods such as 3D cell culture, 2D hydrogel coating, static suspension culture, hydrogel-cell bead, and used as an injectable carrier.
- 3D cell culture: make a full cellular encapsulation in the hydrogel matrix and enhance the cell-hydrogel matrix interactions
- 2D hydrogel coating: allow cells to interact with/submerge into the functional hydrogel substance and maintain an excellence exposing surface to the top medium. This method is great to generate the bridge between the traditional 2D culture and 3D cellular encapsulation culture.
- Static suspension culture: this is a unique culture method of VitroGel hydrogel system. By simply mixing the VitroGel solution and cells for a soft hydrogel formation, the researchers can further directly mix the hydrogel-cell mixture with additional culture medium to make a hydrogel-cell suspension. This method is great for suspension culture and scale up.
- Hydrogel-cell bead: The hydrogel solution can mix with cells for a soft hydrogel, which then can add to the cell culture medium as droplets for hydrogel-cell bead formation. This culture method not only encapsulates cells within the hydrogel matrix to enhance cell-matrix interactions, but also allow the whole hydrogel-cell bead to suspense in cell culture medium for optimal medium penetration. Researchers can adjust the size of the hydrogel beads by changing the volume of droplets added to the culture medium.
- Injectable carrier: Simply mix hydrogel solution with cells/compounds at room temperature, the hydrogel is ready for injection in 20 minutes. Under the mechanical shearing force such as injection through a syringe, the hydrogel performs a gel-sol transition and becomes free-flowing status. However, once the shearing force ceased, the mechanical strength of the hydrogel can rapidly recover with a sol-gel transition and become a hydrogel status again. With this injectable property, VitroGel can be used for in vivo cells/drug delivery for cell therapy or controlled release.